Monday, July 21, 2008

Camping!


Being the Mom of 2 boys, I knew this day would come. I knew eventually I was going to be taken out of my comfort zone and that I would get to experience things I had never done before. This happened this past week when we went camping for the first time as a family. And for me...the first time in my life!

We went down to Mohican which is about an hour or so south of us. We slept in our tent which was surprisingly comfortable given that the nights were nice and cool. The downside was that we had an open-field campsite. Being new to camping, I didn't realize how miserable this would be. But with temperatures in the mid 90's and full sun all day, open-field camping was horrible! We couldn't stay at our campsite at all during the day because it was too hot and too sunny. We spent a lot of time at the indoor pool and hiking in the woods to stay cool.

But the boys had a blast. Shan and Ian went fishing and Christian really enjoyed the playground. Shan tried to take the boys out in our inflatable boat, but Christian just isn't a boat fan. He screamed the whole way across the lake. LOL Shan and Ian did take a paddleboat out for a little bit though.

We cooked out and roasted marshmallows on the fire and made smores. I guess it was a very typical camping experience. And one that I do look forward to repeating. (Only never in open-field again! LOL)

Here are some images from our 3 day adventure.
































3 comments:

Angela Oldaker said...

Yeah! I'm so glad that you did it!! Now, when the two of you are of the retiring age, you will look back and reflect on those "tough" child-rearing years and say, "Remember when we took the kids on that awful camping trip when we couldn't even stay at our campsite cause it was 342 degrees?" (The temperature will get hotter with each passing year....) It will be a great memory! :) I knew you could do it! I hope that you continue to make these precious memories with your boys. At the very least, so I have someone to commiserate with those first few days post-camping.;) We can compare horror stories and laugh. I do enjoy camping though, despite the crazy things that can happen.

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love the pictures!! Some of them don't look like vacation pictures, they look like you were doing something for a contest, especially the ones of Shan and Ian fishing. I remember the first time I went camping... I was in Florida getting ready to go on a TLC Missions trip and we were at what they called Boot Camp. (was it ever!!) It was fun, but it is definitely something to get used to! I ended up loving it (we camped for a week in the Florida Everglades on property that the Hobe Sound Bible Church owns. Talk about interesting... nothing like being in a tent and having armadillos able to run past you... sound like little metal tanks because of their shells on their backs. LOL!! Glad you had fun!! I'm thinking my time is about to begin with the camping with my boys because Isaac is starting to want to be in his tent a lot and so I told him we would camp outside sometime this summer. (Pray that I don't chicken out... LOL!! No, I will be ok. I think we will camp out at Mom and Dad's or something so we aren't too far in case he chickens out!) Talk to you soon!!

Anonymous said...

Great pics! You were such a trooper! I think we're going to try camping this fall when the weather cools a bit.