Thursday, April 8, 2010

All or Nothing!

I am constantly striving to better my life. My current battle is my tendency to be an "All or Nothing" kind of person. When I look at a job that needs to be done, if I can't do it all and do it to my own high standards, I tend to not do it at all. Do you ever find yourself doing this?

How can I find more balance? What have you tried to incorporate into your lives that has helped you accomplish part of a job?

I am currently sitting on my couch, thinking about this while I wait for my late lunch to finish cooking. I am looking around at pockets of clutter that have collected in my house and wondering why I have continued to let them stay the way they are.

I really want to be the kind of person that can at least better my situation, even if I can't do it all.

I want to be the kind of person that doesn't expect things to be perfect when I finish them.

Just last night I was reminded how far I have to go on this journey for balance as I continued to cut stray pieces of ivy that were overhanging the front steps....in the dark...3 hours into my "Operation: Let's not have our front yard look like a dump". Shan just looked at me and said "You are the kind of person that once you start something, you go all the way with it. But then you are so exhausted that you don't do it again for another year."

And he was right! (Yes Honey, I said you are right!)

Today, I am physically drained because I pushed so hard yesterday. I desperately want to clean up the inside of my house today since it is cold and rainy outside. I want to get some laundry accomplished, but again, I am struggling with my All or Nothing personality.

Maybe...just for today...I can settle for making 1 floor of the house better...or maybe even just 1 room.

Maybe...just for today...I can override my All or Nothing mentality.

Maybe...just for today...I can relax a bit and allow myself to better something instead of perfecting it.

2 comments:

Stacy said...

OY, I could have written that entire thing...which is why my house is always in such disarray.
If I can't do it well, I just want to ignore it and not do it at all.

I'm still working on this...a long with all of my other issues. I'm constantly under construction. :)

Melissa said...

Just for today, let tomorrow take care of tomorrow.

Just For Today, I Will Let Go Of Worry
Just For Today, I Will Let Go Of Anger
Just For Today, I Will Love And Respect All Life Forms
Just For Today, I Will Count My Many Blessings
Just For Today, I Will Live My Life Honestly