Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Proud Mommy Post!

So it is time for me to be a boastful Mom. Sure...every Mom thinks that her kid is a genius, and in their own way, they probably are. It is amazing as a Mom to watch them grow and make new connections in the world.

Ian, my 4 1/2 year old, is amazing to me! He makes connections with things that I think most grown adults would have a hard time with. Today, once again, I was amazed by his intelligence.

Now being that Ian is 4 1/2 years old, the concept of weather eludes him. He knows it is winter. He knows that it is cold outside. And yet today, he was determined to have a Peanut Butter and Jelly Stand! He wanted to sell PB&J sandwiches to anyone who came to the house. At first I tried to reason with him and explain that we can't have a PB&J stand in the winter because it is too cold out, but that was rapidly progressing into a fight. So I told him that I was going to put the peanut butter and jelly away so that when someone came to buy one we could make it fresh. We even hung his precious OPEN sign on the door.

Now tonight, as I was putting things away after dinner...this is what I found.

Now Ian is a very creative child. For Christmas we got him an art box with crayons, colored pencils, markers, glue, chalk, scissors, a hole punch, a stapler and added a 6 pack of legal pads for him to write and draw on. He makes books, signs, writes letters to family, etc. So seeing signs taped to the front of the stool in the kitchen was no shocker.

Then I looked closer and saw this:

To those of you who don't speak Preschooler, reading it may be even more difficult. But as I stood there and looked at it, I realized what it said. My son had spelled out on his own...Peanut Butter and Jelly Stand. How can I know that this is what it says? Because I am his Mom and I know how he thinks. He must have sat down and sounded it out, although when he does this, he tends to miss some letters. But heck...he is only 4!

So look really close and sound out the letters on the page:

PEUN=Peanut (guess he mixed up the letters too)
BD=Butter
N=And
GLE=Jelly
STIND=Stand

I think it is actually pretty impressive for a 4 year old!

Shan just pointed out to me that the picture that accompanied the so nicely spelled out sign is actually a menu.


For 1 Quarter, you can have a sandwich. (I know it is a quarter because when I asked Ian earlier in the day how much he was charging for his sandwiches he told me "25 cents!")

So begins my child into the world of the self-employed. Hey...with parents like us...could we expect anything else out of him! He has grown up in this business from birth!

Hope you enjoyed my little brag on my eldest son. I just think he is awesome!

Steph

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved that! Kids are so amazing! And it's quite ok to be a proud mommy! Ian sounds like a very intelligent boy! Wish we lived closer!

Devan Meyers said...

How cute!!!!

Kathy Phy (formerly Puckett) said...

That is the cutest thing I have ever seen!!! (well, except for stuff my own kids do :)

Just for the record, I clicked on the picture before I read on down for your explanation, and I immediately picked out the "words" peanut butter and jelly stand. What a smart little guy!!